THE OSTEOSARCOMA INSTITUTE
JOB OPENING IN DALLAS, TEXAS
Development Assistant – Hybrid Position
The Osteosarcoma Institute (OSI) is seeking a full-time (40 hours per week), Development Assistant to help grow our organization and advance our mission to dramatically increase treatment options and survival rates in osteosarcoma patients through identifying and funding the most promising and breakthrough osteosarcoma clinical trials and science. Typical work hours are Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm CT. Flexible hours are considered if agreed upon in advance.
About the Osteosarcoma Institute
Osteosarcoma is a bone cancer that primarily affects adolescents and young adults, and research has not made significant progress in improving outcomes or identifying new therapies for metastatic/recurrent osteosarcoma patients in over 40 years. About one-third of patients die from the disease within five years of diagnosis. This is a challenge answered by the OSI, a 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to dramatically improving the life expectancy of relapsed and metastatic patients.
The OSI is a virtual institute with offices in the Medical District in Dallas, Texas. The OSI is guided by an active Strategic Advisory Board comprised of expert physicians, scientists, and other leaders in cancer research from across the country. Through a comprehensive, peer-reviewed process, we fund clinical trials and related studies, and translational research to advance our understanding of osteosarcoma and improve patient outcomes. This dedication to improving the lives of osteosarcoma patients makes the OSI a dynamic and passionate organization offering significant potential for growth.
The OSI is seeking a qualified candidate to assist our Development Manager and Development Committee with implementing our strategic development plan to grow our revenue portfolio of $2M+ through a multi-year expansion. The ideal candidate must have at least one (1) year of administrative or fundraising experience with exceptional organizational skills and an eye for detail. The responsibilities of this position will include:
- Work daily within our CRM system, EveryAction, to input and maintain detailed donor and prospect data, create reports to track donor giving and retention, and build emails, lists, events, forms, etc.
- Ensure tax receipts, thank you notes, and other donor pieces are sent out in a timely manner and in accordance with the OSI’s stewardship plan while maintaining donor confidentiality.
- Create and execute an annual email and social media campaign to help with the OSI’s planned giving efforts by utilizing materials from our vendor, FreeWill.
- Assist with organizing and updating the OSI’s grant writing calendar and sharing tasks/deadlines with the team to ensure timely submissions and reports.
- Manage the OSI’s online calendar for key Development activities, including campaigns, meetings, milestones, etc.
- Prepare prospective donor materials and schedule prospect meetings.
- Assist with materials and logistics for 2 to 3 fundraising events per year (typically on evenings and/or weekends).
- Name, store, and organize project files and folders within the shared drive to ensure your work saved and is easy to locate.
- Develop a strong knowledge of the OSI’s mission and programs, and strengthen your skill set through available resources provided by the OSI and other relevant partners.
- Serve as a representative of the OSI when engaging with donors, prospects, and volunteers.
The OSI offers a starting salary between $37,000 to $40,000 for this position depending on the candidate’s experience. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, 401(k), short-term disability, and life insurance, paid holidays, and additional paid time off (vacation and sick). This position will work approximately 1 to 3 days per week in the Dallas, TX office and in a remote capacity from home the rest of the week. All necessary technology and equipment will be provided by the OSI.
- One to two (1 – 2) years of administrative or fundraising experience required.
- An associate degree in a related field, such as communications or business, is required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Zoom, Teams, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, etc.).
- Experience with donor database management is required; experience in EveryAction is preferred.
- Video editing is a plus.
- Building and editing in WordPress is a plus.
- Ability to work politely and professionally with coworkers, prospects, donors, and volunteers.
- Willingness to learn about the medical research and philanthropic communities in our industry.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and can act in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization.
- Self-starter attitude with an ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- A motivation to work for a small, actively growing organization and make a noticeable impact on the OSI’s mission.
- Must be able to work independently on some tasks and collaborate with a team on others.
- Ability to work remotely from home with minimal travel, not to exceed 5%.
- Must have strong and reliable internet access from home.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
- Ability to organize, pack, and sort small to medium-sized boxes that weigh less than 15 pounds.
- Ability to stand for short periods of time (not to exceed 1 to 3 hours).
To qualify for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The Osteosarcoma Institute, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To Apply: Please send an updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line Development Assistant. Interviews for this position will start in February, and the anticipated start date is April 2023.
Reports to: Development Manager