Finance & Accounting Associate Job Opening
THE OSTEOSARCOMA INSTITUTE
JOB OPENING IN DALLAS, TEXAS
Finance & Accounting Associate – Part-time – Hybrid Position
The Osteosarcoma Institute (OSI) is seeking a part-time (15 – 20 hours per week; potentially more at certain times of the year) Finance & Accounting Associate to help grow our organization and advance our mission to dramatically increase treatment options and survival rates in osteosarcoma patients through identifying and funding the most promising and breakthrough osteosarcoma clinical trials and science. This is a part-time position, with periodic in-person time at the Dallas office to collaborate with the team.
About the Osteosarcoma Institute
Osteosarcoma is a bone cancer that primarily affects adolescents and young adults, and research has not made significant progress in improving outcomes or identifying new therapies for metastatic/recurrent osteosarcoma patients in over 40 years. About one-third of patients die from the disease within five years of diagnosis. This is a challenge answered by the OSI, a 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to dramatically improving the life expectancy of relapsed and metastatic patients.
The OSI is a virtual institute with offices in Dallas, Texas. The OSI is a national organization guided by an active Strategic Advisory Board comprised of expert physicians, scientists, and other leaders in cancer research from across the country. Through a comprehensive, peer-reviewed process, we fund clinical trials and related studies, and translational research to advance our understanding of osteosarcoma and improve patient outcomes. This dedication to improving the lives of osteosarcoma patients makes the OSI a dynamic and passionate organization offering significant potential for growth.
The Osteosarcoma Institute is seeking a qualified Finance & Accounting Associate candidate to manage its day-to-day accounting and finance needs as it embarks on a rapidly expanding network of partners and supporters. The ideal candidate has 3+ years of accounting and bookkeeping experience, is detail-oriented, has strong written and verbal communication skills, and is organized. The responsibilities of this position will include:
- Work closely with the OSI leadership to advance the overall OSI financial management and reporting processes. Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Finance Associate will serve as a direct interface with the OSI staff on various day-to-day activities.
- Manage payables and receivables, ensuring that all activities are properly recorded in accordance with accounting standards. This includes maintaining a general ledger.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Manage the OSI’s grant schedule, to ensure alignment with contractual agreements and timing of sending funds.
- Prepare annual operating budgets, as well as regular project budgets – (1) Develop ad hoc performance reports and board updates. Conduct quarterly departmental actual-to-budget reviews. Work closely with development, scientific, and operating team members on projects, grants, budgets, and other matters. (2) Collaborate with the Development department on reconciliations, including donor receipts.
- Provide audit and tax support.
- Partner in maintaining/supporting proper governance and controls to protect OSI assets.
- Maintain organized and labeled financial documents within the shared drive.
- Complete various other financial tasks and initiatives, as needed.
The OSI offers a starting hourly wage between $35 to $40 for this position, commensurate with the candidate’s experience. Benefits include paid holidays, and additional paid time off (vacation and sick days). This position will work remotely in the DFW area, with periodic time in the Dallas office. All needed technology will be provided.This is a great opportunity for someone needing flexibility as it is only 15 – 20 hours a week.
- 3+ years of accounting and bookkeeping experience is required; some not-for-profit experience is a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree, with a basic understanding of accounting principles, is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word, is also required; working knowledge of QuickBooks is a plus.
- Willingness to learn about the medical research and philanthropic communities in our space and support the mission of the OSI.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and can act in a manner that will reflect positively on the organization.
- Self-starter attitude with an ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- A motivation to work for a small, actively growing organization and make a noticeable impact on the OSI’s mission.
- Must be able to work independently on some tasks and collaborate with a team on others.
To qualify for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The Osteosarcoma Institute, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To Apply: Please send an updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line Finance & Accounting Associate. Interviews for this position will start in March, and the anticipated start date is May 2023, or earlier.
Department: Finance & Accounting
Reports to: Finance Manager