The Osteosarcoma Institute is seeking a full-time Development Manager to help grow our organization in the fight to overcome osteosarcoma. This position can be based in Dallas, TX. We will also consider candidates based elsewhere.
Reports to: President
About the Osteosarcoma Institute
Osteosarcoma is a bone cancer that primarily strikes adolescents and young adults, and research has not made significant progress in improving outcomes or identifying new therapies in metastatic/recurrent osteosarcoma patients in over 40 years. About 1/3 of patients die from the disease within 5 years of diagnosis. This is a challenge answered by the Osteosarcoma Institute (OSI), a 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to dramatically improving the life expectancy of relapsed and metastatic patients.
Launched in 2017, the OSI is guided by an active Strategic Advisory Board comprised of top physicians, scientists and other leaders in cancer research from across the country. Through a comprehensive, national review process, we fund clinical and biology research that advance our understanding of osteosarcoma to improve patient outcomes. This dedication to improving the lives of osteosarcoma patients makes the Institute a dynamic and passionate organization offering large potential for growth for all who join us.
This is a leadership position responsible for the creation and implementation of the OSI Development strategic plan to maintain and grow a revenue portfolio of $2mm+ through a multi-year expansion of giving channels such as Planned Giving, Individual Giving, Direct Mail, Digital Fundraising, Email, and Grants. The Development Manager will have a unique opportunity to work directly with OSI leadership to grow a development capability critical to OSI’s success, including building a team, adding strategic partners, and formulating development strategy.
Duties include executing fundraising efforts, building strong and successful relationships, maintaining communications with donors and patient families, and managing relationships with outside vendors or agencies that support the development strategy. The Development Manager will also oversee OSI’s marketing and communication efforts, particularly through social media and web channels. This position involves significant teamwork and collaborative efforts with OSI’s Strategic Advisory Board, Development Committee, organizations, foundations, corporations, and private donors.
- Fundraising Plan: As the senior fundraising team member, the Development Manager is responsible for preparing and implementing an annual fundraising plan, including projections, timetables, and deliverables that will detail how OSI will meet its philanthropic fundraising goals.
- Grants: Actively pursue foundation, corporate, and government grants, manage the process, including planning, budget, and relationship management with funding organizations
- Individual Giving and Major Donor Program: Research and identify prospective donors, create new vehicles to connect with and engage donors, and manage the planning and execution of maintaining communications with current and prospective donors and sponsors.
- Moves Management: Initiate and manage the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all of OSI’s prospective, current, and past donors. Support the president, staff, and Board members in all development-related activities.
- CRM Management: Oversee data input, updates, and reporting within the CRM system
- Annual Report: Produce and distribute OSI’s annual report
- Board Engagement: Present regularly to the board, development committee, outside organizations, and funding organizations
- Communications and Marketing: Oversee marketing and communications relative to fundraising, including OSI’s website and community outreach.
- Social media: Create content and oversee the design of online ads and organic social media content to engage the online community. Create interesting, well-researched content to engage patient and researcher populations. Proofread and produce detailed and accurate quality work.
- OSI’s The Frontline Newsletter: This position will be responsible for the strategy of OSI’s content hub and newsletter, The Frontline. Duties include identifying stories, scheduling interviews, conducting interviews, and publishing articles on OSI’s website and social channels. The Frontline is a lead generation and awareness strategy and requires knowledge of SEO and Google keyword tags.
- A bachelor’s degree is required with a preference towards nonprofit management, business, public relations, or related fields
- 3 years of fundraising experience preferred
- Demonstrated successful experience in nonprofit fundraising
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in diverse settings
- Positive and collaborative attitude when managing groups and overseeing initiatives
- Experience managing and tracking donor contributions and organizing gathered data
- Experience measuring and evaluating data and outcomes
- A motivation from entrepreneurship aligned with the “start-up” nature of the position
- Experience with team-building to deliver on the over-riding OSI mission
- To qualify for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Ability to perform customary office work with some travel.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
The Osteosarcoma Institute, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send an updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Manager”